Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starcraft 2
Do As Infinity Forum > Downtown > Anime & Game Center
houndtooth
StarCraft 2 Officially Announced

All the details, screens, and video.
by Charles Onyett

May 18, 2007 - Editor's note: Most of the text below was written from a wireless connection on Blizzard's WWI show floor, where StarCraft 2 was announced. As the event continues there'll be fragmented updates below. Expect more details throughout the weekend. Also, expect typos. All timestamps are local time in Seoul, South Korea.

2:54 PM (May 20) - Two more previews are up, offering plenty of details on Blizzard's art and gameplay design.

12:11 AM (May 20) - StarCraft 2 will be an RTS largely in the same vein as its predecessor. The game will feature the same three races: Protoss, Zerg, and Terran. Action will unfold on the same type of 2D plane as before, with multitiered maps that ground units must use ramps to move between. Graphics have been updated significantly, many new units added, and some old units removed. Blizzard was unwilling to divulge much about how the Zerg and Terran forces have changed, but shed some light on the new developments for the Protoss. Story specifics are still being kept under wraps, though from the concept art it seems Kerrigan will somehow be involved. The game will release "when it's done" for PC and Mac only. It's currently in pre-alpha stages of development, and has been in production at Blizzard since the release of WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne in 2003.

9:33 - In case you don't want to browse through the live updates below, here's a comprehensive, easily digestible list of the new units and abilities in StarCraft 2. Mmm, delicious paragraphs.

7:20 - Direct-feed gameplay video loaded to the video gallery. There's also an article summarizing the few panels that occured just after the announcement ceremony. Another panel is about to begin, so I'm off again.

4:30ish - We now also have video of StarCraft 2 to watch and blog about. Tell a friend.

4:07 - Just uploaded first ever screens of StarCraft 2. Enjoy.

3:50 - Blizzard has not yet announced a release date for StarCraft 2.

3:44 - As for initial StarCraft 2 impressions - the game looked very similar to SC1 with nearly identical user interface, graphical style and unit proportions. There was more flashy lighting effects but it seems like Blizzard didn't want to mess with SC's underlying style very much. The screens they showed the video on didn't display the very clearly, unfortunately, but the game still looked pretty with some nice animations. We'll have to wait to bring you any updates on what kind of story elements are in SC2 - hopefully they're in the panel discussion.

3:31 - Announcements are over - transitioning into a musical act - hopefully it's not as bad as the music they were playing before the ceremony.

3:26 - Showing another video of "things to come." Concept art for SC2 - zerg landscapes - ruined terran structures - freen filds - SC2 looks, at least visually, strikingly similar to SC1 - both in unit and map designs. Now showing a giant rush of zerglings - probably over 100 of them, swarming with no slowdown - more character art - finishes with the StarCraft II logo.

3:23 - Now showing terran and protoss fight - marines and zealots clashing on the ground - mothership and battle crusers in the air - framerate seems relatively stable as more units stream in - hard to tell - about 100 units on screen right now - a few of the new protoss units just came in - nuclear launch detected warning - every unit on screen destroyed - three nukes were launched at once - then zergs rush in and spell "GG" while turning into suicidal bombs.

3:18 - Warprey also very effective against structures - very vulnerable to small unit fire - shows warpreys getting wiped out by terran marines. Physics system lets debris from warpreys roll down a ramp. Showing one more unit - warped in in a serious of cubes - giant floating base - called a protoss mothership - can only have one at a time - cost big resources - special abilities include timebomb that slows all enemy missiles inside a sphere field - shows terran missle launcher shooting in projectiles that stop in the field before they reach the ship - when field ends missiles drop the ground - they also have a planet cracker attack where giant lasers stream from ship to ground - ship can be moved around while planet cracker laser is active - the ship looks like a metallic, triangular sand dollar - mothership can create a black hole anywhere it wannts to - creates distortion that actually sucks ships in and destroys them - in the demo the black hole destroyed four terran battle cruisers in about ten seconds.

This is just part of it. Here's the link: Starcraft 2 Officially Announced.

And this link to check out the units etc. Starcraft New Units

And their official website: http://www.starcraft2.com/

I am totally looking forward to this, their graphics equipped with the new 3D engine.
thefrustrated
QUOTE(houndtooth @ May 20 2007, 10:17 AM) *

This is just part of it. Here's the link: Starcraft 2 Officially Announced.

And this link to check out the units etc. Starcraft New Units

And their official website: http://www.starcraft2.com/

I am totally looking forward to this, their graphics equipped with the new 3D engine.

Yeah! And I heard they're closing the SC1 servers as well. It's all good.
x_shinigami_x
QUOTE(thefrustrated @ May 20 2007, 08:19 PM) *

Yeah! And I heard they're closing the SC1 servers as well. It's all good.

umm.. go to Blizzard's FAQ.. Starcraft Battle.net servers will still be running after Starcraft II Battle.net comes online.
Patrician
QUOTE(x_shinigami_x @ May 21 2007, 02:58 PM) *

umm.. go to Blizzard's FAQ.. Starcraft Battle.net servers will still be running after Starcraft II Battle.net comes online.

Good, I don't think closing em' would be a good idea. wavey.gif
tulron41
I'm really looking forward to this game. I may buy a new laptop when it comes out. Though i heard a rumor that the game wont be complete till next year.
Daish
LOL knowing blizzard I'll be eating off my pension when it comes out.

but that doesn't mean i won't play it, nor will I not own you all laugh.gif
x_shinigami_x
i'm confident blizzard will be done by 2008. they said that it wont be for 2007 despite the game being playable with all 3 races.. i think they havent fully implemented everything. though they've known to be in production for a long time, they did start SC2 not long after W3: Frozen Throne was released (mid 03).. so 6 years... err ok.. maybe 2009 ^^;

but either way.. all your base are belong to us! Daish, i'll see YOU serverside!
houndtooth
Be sure to take a look at the gameplay video and the new units put up at their main website!

*The twilight archon looks awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.