Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Review and Rating] Van's "VOICE" album
Do As Infinity Forum > Headquarters > Van Tomiko
Stovila
Let's separate this from the other thread.

I just want to know your review and (if possible) rating for this album,
out from chit chat about other things about her, but this album.
Throw your thought here.

No fight o.O; (... who knows?)

--------
Just 4-5 songs that I like. I hate that Cofee Rumba...

My most favorite song in this cover, is Miagete Goran Yoru no Hoshi wo.

It's an old song sung by Kyu Sakamoto. Awesome, I knew this song from J-Drama series,
"A million stars falling from the sky" - Takuya Kimura. x_X
This song is so... man... can't describe it XD
HUMANITY!

Then Hajimari wa Itsumi Ame OF COURSE! xD

The other songs, I forgot the tittle, lol.
Just twice listen to it till now.

I will rate about 7/10, since she still have her voice.

But Cover album is enough.. I hope she will have some of her own tunes in her next project...
green
my review:

[home]
- i really like the instrumentation (country-style) for this song, and plus the fact that it's one of the few faster songs on the album makes it one of my favorites. actually, it might be my NUMBER ONE favorite off the album. some of the tune is kind of monotonous. i really like the "ii no kana?" parts in the chorus. and the instrumentation (esp. the violin). i used to listen to country music a lot, so i guess that's why this song appeals to me so much.

[yoru ni kizutsuite]
- i like this song maybe because i'm just more familiar with it or something. no, wait. i just like it since it's a very good song. and still one of the more upbeat songs in the album, and that's really saying something. i mean, normally, i would think songs like this are slow, but in the album, it's one of the faster ones. i like the little bridge toward the end, "yoake wo sagashite, etc."

[kanojo]
- uh...slow? rolling.gif i don't even remember the tune to this one...it's got kind of a [Hold Me...] atmosphere, i.e., small, smoky piano bar feel. it's a nice song, but songs like these just don't stand out to me that much.

[Coffee Rumba]
- i have a feeling this song was put after [kanojo] to wake people up. rolling.gif the verses sound very daring. this reminds me of karaoke songs my relatives sing back in Taiwan. laugh.gif listening to this song, i've noticed songs we listen to now have very distinguished choruses and key changes, but old songs like these are very...flowy. the verses just flow into the choruses, and sometimes you don't automatically distinguish one from the other. anyways, [Coffee Rumba] is a nice song now that i think about it. laugh.gif

[yasashii ame]
- :falls asleep: this one is actually louder than [kanojo], though, which is a VERY good thing. nice melody, nice instrumentation, just not one that stands out from any others.

[hajimari wa itsumo ame]
- the music sounds REALLY familiar...oh, wait...it has the SAME beat as [TRUTH'94]. i know this is a popular rhythm, but...yah. it makes these two songs sound too familiar. not one of my favorites even when i listen to the tune only.

[shoujo]
- ehh...slow...okay melody?

[miagete goran yoru no hoshi wo]
- hey, the instrumentation reminds me of Nakashima Mika's [LEGEND] a bit. i actually like this song because it's one that stands out from a lot of the other songs on this album. really sounds like a lullaby and song that has to do with the starry night sky. smile.gif

[TRUTH'94]
- darn, the backing vocals were taken out, which makes this song even more LONELY and EMPTY. this one is an okay song.

[IF]
- DUDE~!! I'VE HEARD THIS SONG BEFORE~!! and just because of that, this song rises higher in my ranking. hehe... biggrin.gif was this song sung by a man before...? hm...anyway. i really like the lyrics. it's way too SHORT, though.

[kitte no nai okuri mono]
- okay, talk about short songs. this song is SHORT. but i think this is a good thing in the case of this song. if the man choir in the background had been there for 4 minutes, i think i might've gone crazy. this length is just right, and it sounds pretty nice. although not a stand-out.

[yumeji -acoustic version-]
- i really liked the original version, so how can i NOT like this one? the acoustic version makes the song sound so innocent. laugh.gif although i miss the orchestra from the original version and the build-up to the choruses. hey, Ban-chan's voice is less screechy, which i guess would technically be a good thing. the song really slows down after the first chorus in my mind, though. the weird hiccup she does around 3:07 threw me off, though. XD

so, in conclusion...

- songs that cover me with (even a little) love =
home
yoru ni kizutsuite
Coffee Rumba
miagete goran yoru no hoshi wo
IF
(and [yumeji -acoustic version-] just because i liked the original...XD)

- i know the tunes, but they just don't do it for me
TRUTH'94
kitte no nai okuri mono

- i don't even remember this
kanojo
yasashii ame
hajimari wa itsumo ame
shoujo

EL-g
overall the album is not good

If Banchan wants to sing different music genre she really need to work on vocal training. For me she sings all the different music styles as if she was singing any other rock song, which for me is not good for a soloist artist.
Overall all the songs sound the same no matter what genre they are.....

I hope to see Banchan improving soon
Frozenbreak
I personally love this album o.O its a nice relaxing album. So far my all time favorites are Coffee Rumba, Hajimari wa Itsumo Ame, Yumeji -acoustic version, and Yoru ni Kizutsuite. to me i didnt really care that it was a cover album all that mattered is if the music sounds good and these got to me mostly.
Shigure
QUOTE(EL-g @ Mar 31 2007, 05:06 AM) *

overall the album is not good

If Banchan wants to sing different music genre she really need to work on vocal training. For me she sings all the different music styles as if she was singing any other rock song, which for me is not good for a soloist artist.
Overall all the songs sound the same no matter what genre they are.....

I hope to see Banchan improving soon

Woow, I really have to disagree with you.... That's probably the best work she did concerning her voice. I don't like the album neither, but I could listen to all of the song just to appreciate her soft "voice". Just listen to songs like HOME (my fav.)... geez, it's such a great vocal performance... and what about the chorus of SHOUJO? it's great, her voice is not really the same... she improved a lot since the old days.... And she really don't sing all of them like they were rock songs... please, that's unfair, she worked hard all those years till reach that point.

I probably think her idea concerning this album was show all of her vocal power, and that's the reason for the tittle I think. Anyway, you may think whatever you want too, I would just like to show my point of view.

As I said. HOME is my fav. the whole song is great, but from the second chorus till the end of the song it's just amazing.

I also like Yoru no Kizutsuite, Hajimari wa Itsumo ame, Shoujo, and Yumeji.

@stovilla: I heard Miagete goran yoru no hoshi wo for the first time as the ending theme of TWIN SPIKA, I do prefer that version, (the original) I really hate what they did with that ban-chan version, what the hell are those electronic things in the middle.? XD terrible
Stovila
Yes it becomes more 'electric' tho. But I love that song however it arranges anyway hahaha.

And about her voice, she's better in soft actually. But she could rock too without any problem, so.. genius? xD
Chie
wow the opinions lie far away from each other...
I'll get my copy on Wednesday, possibly. and what I've heard till now was very good ^^ I'm just wondering about her second original album... I think it'll be really really breath-taking!! biggrin.gif
*TangerineRaven*
I've listened to the album about 2-3 times through, and here are my favorites:

"Yoru ni Kizutsuite"
What can I say besides "set me freeee"? <3

"Kanojo"
I heard the original before I heard Ban-chan do it, and I really liked the way the guy sang it. And the melody is interesting too. When I heard Ban-chan's, she captured the gentle laziness that was in the original. LOVELY. Bravo, Ban-chan

"KOOHII RUNBA"
Haha I love this song. The beat/tune is so fun. =D

"Hajimari wa Itsumo Ame"
Although I like this song better when she sings it live, it's beautiful anyways. The reason I like it better live is because she expresses it so well with her face. She smiles alot throughout the song <3

"TRUTH'94"
Pretty. And fimiliar, which is probably why I like it XD

"IF"
Beautiful lyrics. She's getting really good at singing high notes. BEAUTIFUL SONG.

"Yumeji ~acoustic version~"
WOOT, acoustic.. need I say more? =P

I'm a big sucker for long ballad songs.. so I would have to say my current most favorite is "Kanojo" =P

I think it's a good album overall.. the songs really fit her voice well. <3 I'd give it an 8/10
Ange
The cover is wub.gif
EienDAIfan5d9
Time for my review! Ahehhehheh!
This is coming from a person who has lost complete faith in Tomiko's solo career, just so everyone knows.
NOTE: I rated this in order of Alphabetical, so that's why it's out of order (I mention falling asleep "again" in kanojo)

[home]
- This song seemed okay from the beginning with the acoustic intro, but my god Tomiko's voice just does not fit this style of song. At all. The song itself isn't so bad it's just I can't see (or hear) Tomiko singing a song like this one. Just. No.

[yoru ni kizutsuite]
- Probably my second favorite song on the album but it's still not all that great. It's just too plain slow but props to Tomiko for her vocals.

[kanojo]
- *Falls asleep* Huh? Damn it, it happened again! Why can't I stay awake for this album!? Oh well this song sucks...Again...Sigh...

[Coffee Rumba]
- I don't like this song. I don't know why it's catchy and the beat is "okay" but this song just doesn't appeal to me. It seems like she tried too hard to add a fast song that this just doesn't fit at all. It's pretty annoying.

[yasashii ame]
- Is this one going to be good? *Holds breath* Sigh...Nope. Slow once again. The instruments in the background are annoying also...It's just horrible to listen to...

[hajimari wa itsumo ame]
- Huh? Wait? What happened? I was listening to this song and I just woke up after 3 hour nap. Wow. This song is so damn slow. I can't even listen to it. This song makes horoscope seem like Honjitsu. -.- Snore.

[shoujo]
- Oh wow. This is probably the second fastest song on this album. And yet it's SLOW AS HELL! OMG! *Skip*

[miagete goran yoru no hoshi wo]
- My ears...They bleed...The instruments in the background are giving me a head ache...Ugh...Slow song...Again...Yipee jump for joy...

[TRUTH'94]
- This song sucked when Do As Infinity did it it won't change now.

[IF]
- Wow. Engrish...At least she improved since Summer Days...This song is slow and yet short so it goes by too fast. It's just bad all together...

[kitte no nai okuri mono]
- Okay the guy choir was enough to throw me off this song. Just wow. That was highly annoying. How long are they gonna do that? Once again this song is slow but it's probably my least favorite song. SHUT UP YOU CHOIR!!!!!! AGH!!!! *tears out ears...is that possible...?*

[yumeji -acoustic version-]
- Yay! A good song! Yumeji! Sqweeeee! Why did it have to be at the end? I dont want to listen to those sorry excuses for songs to get to this song. This song is the best on here but it isn't all that great. The original is much better than this. I don't know why it's called acoustic...It should be called piano version not acoustic....Okay nevermind here is the acoustic part.

Overall:

Songs that Cover Me with love:
- Yumeji

Songs that Cover me slightly with love:
-Yoru ni Kizutsuite

Songs that just plain sucked:
- The rest!

Yay! I'm so glad I didn't buy this album. If I did I would sue. So badly.
Thanks for reading my review. I know it was biased but honestly if Do As Infinity released a new album with songs like these I would not listen to them anymore I would give up hope just like I'm doing with Tomiko now. Good luck with your solo career, but I won't be buying anything.
Stovila
lol, dude. Take a break with Tomiko hahaha. She's in slow mode right now, but isn't Yumeji also slow? o.O;

*TangerineRaven*
Haha, sheesh Eien!!! =P

I think I'm gonna give my full review now!

home
This is one of the more upbeat songs on the album, and I think it's a pretty good way to start the album. It reminds me a tiny bit of "Essence" from FAREWELL. It's an ok song, IMO, but there are better. It could have been maybe a little bit shorter, though. 7/10

Yoru ni Kizutsuite
As I said in my earlier post, this is one of my favorite songs on the album. The "set me free" parts are melodically (is that a word? xD) haunting. Greattt song. 10/10

Kanojo
While some may find this song boring, I find it absolutely BEAUTIFUL. This is coming from a person whose favorite song off of FAREWELL is "horoscope", lol. I'm a sucker for long ballads. I love the interesting melody. As I said before, she captured the gentle laziness that was in the original. LURVE IT. 10/10

KOOHII RUNBA (Coffe Rumba)
I've always liked songs that sound Spanish-like.. xD I don't know why, but I do. And for some reason, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way she says/sings "koohii", "nomimono", and "suteki" <33 10/10

Yasashii Ame
A nice song, but just not interesting. But I have a feeling that it'll grow on me, like "HOLY PLANET" and "Before Sunset" from FAREWELL. 6/10

Hajimari wa Itsumo Ame
Haha the two "ame" songs are next to each other xD Ahem, sorry. This song is the best "ame" song, IMO. It's a lovely song. I LOVE the way she sings the "dare yori mo" parts. One of my favorites. 10/10

Shoujo
Another song that doesn't really stick out to me. It's pretty though. The melody is great and the lyrics are too. I think this is another song that needs time to grow on me. 7/10

Miagete Goran Yoru no Hoshi wo
The synth thing is kinda annoying, but I think Ban-chan sings this song really beautifully. Overall, the background music could have been better, but that's the only thing. 6/10

TRUTH '94
What the heck happened to the background vocals? T__T Oh well, the song is still beautiful. You've all heard this song before, so there's not much more to say <3 10/10

IF
Great Engrish by Ban-chan! I could actually understand most of what she said without looking at the lyrics. The lyrics are deep and beautiful, as well as the melody. Bravooo!! 10/10

Kitte no nai Okuri Mono
I think it's so cool that it's acapella! I don't find the men choir THAT annoying. It's a really intricate song. 7/10

Yumeji ~acoustic version
LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3333333 I love how she doesn't sing it exactly like the original version. She does this thing where she pushes out air sometimes at the end of the phrases, and it sounds really cool. This song is very stylistic. Heartsssss! 10/10

Overall average album rating: 8.6
avan_piper
i cant bring myself to rate this album, maybe coz...i'm not very familiar with this kind of style and her " new" voice somehow needs to grow on me.

but either way, i kinda like some songs ; IF, yoru ni kizutsuite, Kanojo...
Tomiko's Angel
i love 'home' i always get sleep when i heard it biggrin.gif
ANNA
1. HOME at the beginning I didn't like too much but now I love it! (10/10)

2. Yoru ni Kizutsuite the original version isn't so bad, Ban-chan's voice makes this song really wonderful! (10/10)

3. Kanojo I like jazz sound, this song is great! (10/10)

4. Coffee Rumba nice song, not my favourite music (7/10)

5. Yasashii Ame that's OK (6,5/10)

6. Hajimari wa itsumo ame It's a really good ballad (9/10)

7. Shoujo that's OK, too (6,5/10)

8. Miagete Goran Yoru No Hoshi O I don't like, It's boring T_T (5/10)

9. TRUTH’94 Only youuuuuuuuu I love it! (10/10)

10. IF Ban-chan's English is so cute! (8/10)

11. Kitte No Naio Kuri Mono I don't like cappella arrangement dry.gif I can't listen to Ban-chan's voice U_U

bonus track:
12 Yumeji -acoustic version- LOVE IT!!!! What a voice!!!! (10/10)
shidosan
Well I'll just make some impressions about the album. Overall, I thought it was pretty good. There were a few songs that really weren't memorable on it, but I think Tomiko's voice has improved quite a bit. I really like the acoustic version of Yumeji. I think she did a great job on the album. There's one thing to remember though. These songs all don't mean anything to us specifically, because we aren't Japanese. But I get the impression that these were very popular songs in Japan at one time, or at least songs sung by popular Japanese singers. They were talking about how nostalgic these songs were on that radio show a few days ago. So I think Japanese audiences might be more receptive to these songs...

And in response to some of the harsher critics we have here - I understand you guys want to hear more DAIish songs from her, but that would completely defeat the purpose of going solo wouldn't it? She's obviously aiming for a more feminine style, and I think the style on this album really reflects that. I know it won't please everyone, but I don't think we can deny that she is improving in her own way. I dunno.. I guess I feel that it really isn't fair to criticize her so much just for changing her style. I mean I seem to remember people complaining about DAI's style changing for their last few albums. But I've always believed that a talented musician is someone who can perform many different styles. It would be easy for an artist to completely repeat the same style that brought them success over and over again - that would be like DAI making every album sound like Deep Forest. But wouldn't that be boring after a while? That's why they change things up. So for Tomiko specifically, she's probably all burnt out on the rock songs, and wants to prove herself as a more versatile singer. She probably still has a long way to go, but this cover album and the musical were steps in the right direction. She can only get better from here.
Chie
^ just my opinion smile.gif
I'm sad that I can't find any other band just as great as Do As Infinity, but I wouldn't want Banchan to take that style again... no. she's solo now and she should do just what she wants! I'm just hoping she'll smile a bit more and look happier. I noticed she always looks so sad since she's not with Ryo and Dai anymore! (at least, I think so...)
totosquirt
i just received mine today~ (CD+DVD version, btw).
I'm upset by the fact that YesAsia didn't include any bubble warpping at all. Nothing. The Case appeared to be fine, and so were the disks.

I have yet to hear it~
shidosan
QUOTE(Chie @ Apr 2 2007, 09:37 PM) *

^ just my opinion smile.gif
I'm sad that I can't find any other band just as great as Do As Infinity, but I wouldn't want Banchan to take that style again... no. she's solo now and she should do just what she wants! I'm just hoping she'll smile a bit more and look happier. I noticed she always looks so sad since she's not with Ryo and Dai anymore! (at least, I think so...)

Nah I don't think she's sad... probably just nervous cause she can't have Ryo talk for her anymore laugh.gif
*TangerineRaven*
QUOTE(totosquirt @ Apr 2 2007, 06:40 PM) *

i just received mine today~ (CD+DVD version, btw).
I'm upset by the fact that YesAsia didn't include any bubble warpping at all. Nothing. The Case appeared to be fine, and so were the disks.

I have yet to hear it~

Really? Mine was wrapped really tight in bubble wrap with a bunch of strong tape. You must have had a lazy packaging person package yours rolling.gif
totosquirt
QUOTE(*TangerineRaven* @ Apr 2 2007, 09:11 PM) *

Really? Mine was wrapped really tight in bubble wrap with a bunch of strong tape. You must have had a lazy packaging person package yours rolling.gif

I got mine from YesAsia... unsure.gif i bet they hired a newbie
*TangerineRaven*
QUOTE(totosquirt @ Apr 2 2007, 08:45 PM) *

I got mine from YesAsia... unsure.gif i bet they hired a newbie

Mine was from YesAsia too. Haha, those n00bs at the YesAsia packaging plant =P
totosquirt
Anyways, now for my Review:

I LOVE IT bunlove.gif bunspark.gif bunyay.gif

My Favorite Songs:
  • home
  • yoru ni kizutsuite
  • kanojo
  • YASASHII AME
  • hajimari wa itsumo ame
  • shoujo
  • truth'94
  • yumeji - accoustic
as you can tell, 優しい雨 is my favourite song on her album....so lovely.
i love how she "covered me with love" foxramen.gif

odd? no tongue.gif i love her songs "HOLY PLANET" and "Before Sunset"
Luigi As Infinity2015
Home 10 nice sound guitar tongue.gif

Yoru ni Kizutsuite 9 beauty voice laugh.gif

Coffee Rumba Do you like dance salsa with me tomiko?? 9 (rumba!) wub.gif

Yasashii Ame 10 beauty music foxheart.gif

Hajimari wa itsumo ame 10 it's my favorite song very romantic bunlove.gif

Shoujo 10 the final music is too sensual foxp.gif

Miagete Goran Yoru No Hoshi 10 I feel in the sky when I hear the song foxxd.gif

TRUTH’94 10 relax song, "anata dake" bunangel.gif

IF 10 nice voice, i love her bunoops.gif

Kitte No Naio Kuri Mono 5 this only song i don't liked

Yumeji -acoustic version 10 wooooow!! strong voice
Chie
well, finally, after owning it 1,5 months, I'm going to tell you my thoughts on VOICE, too tongue.gif

home
my favourite on this album! I love everything in it, especially the guitar in the beginning. *___* it's perfect!

yoru ni kizutsuite
this song is so beautiful imo. the part with the drums before the chorus starts is so great! <333

kanojo
love to listen to it. beautifully quiet song, with Banchan's sweet voice *_* when I'm doing my homework, I just have to listen to it xDD

coffee rumba
I love coffee and I love Banchan's vocals here!! this song is really catchy imo and makes me feel jumpy!

yasashii ame
I understand some of the lyrics and they're soooo sweet *_* it's a great song!

hajimari wa itsumo ame
the jazz style of this song is really getting me smitten ^^ I like this song a lot, too. especially Banchan's voice sounding so happy!

shojo
can't help it, I love this song as well. it makes me feel happy anfd confident somehow.

miagete goran yoru no hoshi o
well, this song is okay. But I don't like it as much as I like the others, it's a bit boting to me.

TRUTH'94
it's a lovely song! I love the "only you, anata dake" part so much!

IF
good job, Banchan, I like your Engrish ^___^ I don't like the long intro too much, but the rest is alright.

kitte no nai okurimono
I like this song. a capella is great ^.^

yumeji acoustic
Banchan's voice is sooo strong here! I actually like this version better than the original.

so, all in one, I'd say this CD is really great and it makes me relax ^^ my favourites are:

1. home
2. yoru ni kizutsuite
3. yasashii ame
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.