Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Death of the RTS?
Do As Infinity Forum > Downtown > Anime & Game Center
x_shinigami_x
Real-time strategy.. has it become a thing of the past? As an avid Starcraft fan (and anything Blizzard) it seems as though the hype about RTS is dying down. The FPS and TPS (third person shooter) genres are leading the way for consoles (halo series, gears of war) and MMORPGS are kicking some major ass with WoW. I want some new and exciting RTSs to come out.

There is of course Supreme Commander and Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars, but is there anything else? Who else wants more RTSs to come back? Blizzard really need to pump out a Starcraft 2 right abouts now. I'm looking to get my hands on either of the two new-ish Warhammer RTSs, anyone got any recommendations or has everyone really given up on the genre?
DAI World Order
just played C&C 3 and all i can say is RTS is still alive! rolling.gif

The next step to gaming evolution would be blending MMORPG, RTS and FPS together. Actually Sega did that before but they had to shut the game down due to financial issues.

go searh for a game called 10six or Project Visitor. that was game was ahead of it's time.

I'm surprised no one took the idea and improved on it.

houndtooth
I don't think RTS is going down yet. There are really famous games out there, and this trend is started by the CnC series. Age of Empires, Starcraft, Warcraft, CnC series are some of the most famous RTS. People are coming up with new ways to enhance that "war feeling". Take a look at Supreme Commander, and also Company of Heroes. They are top notch.

just played C&C 3 and all i can say is RTS is still alive! rolling.gif

AHHH! Makes me want to play it even more, but i'm not sure my computer can support it..
DAI World Order
what settings do you have?

i think my computers is pretty old and I ran it smoothly in 1024X768

AMD Athlon 64 3200
2 gb PC-2100 DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
500 gb HD (400+100)

houndtooth
Lol, i tried the demo and it worked! It's so fun biggrin.gif

Even though i read the Readme, it says it does not support RADEON 9200 (which is my graphic card).

Other requirements are alright.
x_shinigami_x
ever played spellforce? that was Diablo-esque RPG as well as RTS and could be played in third person (tho the later being more a novelty than helpful) i personally felt that the spellforce avatar system works better than the warcraft 3 heroes system.

i wanna play supreme commander!! i need a new comp ^^;
virilevocalist
Does Black And White count as RTS? because Black And White 2 came out and the expansion, Battle Of The Gods, came out just under an year ago...
x_shinigami_x
QUOTE(virilevocalist @ Mar 2 2007, 03:42 PM) *

Does Black And White count as RTS? because Black And White 2 came out and the expansion, Battle Of The Gods, came out just under an year ago...

mmm.. i guess every game has "strategy" and most are real time.. lol i dunno
SilverAutomatic
I don't think it's as big as it used to be, but it's still out there. I mean, after all, they're still making Emergency games in the RTS style.
x_shinigami_x
give us SC2!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.