Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's with the lack of good animes
Do As Infinity Forum > Downtown > Anime & Game Center
GaryDAI
There is basically nothing out there too watch lately. I guess it's because it's summer time and everyone is on a break? It's frustrating getting into those shows with a 13/26 episode formats. It ends too fast tongue.gif I fall in love with the characters and they leave me lol

I admit I enjoy shonen anime/mangas, so it narrows my choices. I usually watch the anime first and jump to the manga (rurouni kenshin, bleach, naruto, hxh). It's much easier to visualize the moment imo. It's such a shame that Hunter x Hunter seems to be dead. The mangaka is sick and I doubt he'll come back from what I've read. Get well soon! happy.gif

School rumble & Ouran High School Host Club is good too! It's more of a comedy/love show though smile.gif

I'm just rambling on aren't I? I'm bored happy.gif
DAIs Apprentice
yup, reason why i don't watch anymore. Manga interests me more. Manga adaptations mostly suck.

on a side note, they;ve thought of every single sport already (go, soccer, boxing, basketball, tennis, etc.) so maybe they're out of ideas. :dunno:

:rolling:
GaryDAI
I thought the Prince of Tennis anime was pretty good. The quality of the animation was so poor though. The most ridiculous moment was when they said the main character (forgot his name) beat lleyton hewitt at the end. What the heck was that lol!!! It didn't happen in the manga though. I guess they just wanted to end the show.

Are there any good shonen manga's out there that hasn't ended yet? Currently I'm reading bleach & naruto.
Arika
Togashi-sama is sick?!?!?!?!?!!? :cry: *runs around panicking* Poor guy! *prays for his good health*

I do concur...the anime I've been following lately are just not as good as the older stuff.
GaryDAI
A couple of recent new ones I've watched are...

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. Very funny, but it can get a bit confusing at times though. I have to pause just to carefully read what they are saying at times. I'm slow... happy.gif

Shakugan no Shana was great until the end. It's a bit loli though haha. Chibi characters can't be resisted! It had 26 episodes....beginning was good, middle was brilliant, ending was average. I always remember the end of shows, so I was a bit disappointed by the buildup.

Another anime was Karin. A romance show about a Vampire girl. Good show overall and funny. Ending was ok.

hack//roots.......no comment sad.gif
<--------hack//sign fan

kiba....i couldn't get into it

Ouran High School Host Club is great if you can get over the constant yaioness. Fun show to watch happy.gif

School Rumble....1st season A+++++ - 2nd season gets a B smile.gif Harima is hysterical!

I'll give fate/stay night a B+ smile.gif

Wow, this post looks like a big mess! :oops:
virilevocalist
HARUHI IS AWESOME!!!!

I've watched it both ways! In order of airdate and in chronological order!!!

some things in the series are TOTALLY unexpected given the way the series starts off!!!

And there are SO MANY references to other animes, like Full Metal Panic!!

Damn good anime.

But still, I agree with DAI's Apprentice:
QUOTE(DAIs Apprentice)
yup, reason why i don't watch anymore. Manga interests me more. Manga adaptations mostly suck.
GaryDAI
I love the full metal panic references in that show tongue.gif I think they even used the same effects lol.
DAIs Apprentice
for a "never ending" plot, you might like to try Ranma 1/2. Tons of laughter but also tons of fillers :roll:
GaryDAI
I'm watching Genshiken right now happy.gif It's about an otaku hehe

Ahhh fillers drive me crazy tongue.gif
Kemi
I'm watching Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z right now and I like it a lot!! I suppose that's because I liked the original Powerpuff Girls, but if you like cute, Sailor Moon-ish stuff, you would like it.
x_shinigami_x
definitely agreed that manga is so much better.. having said that, Air Gear anime deviates slightly from the manga, but it's still cool as hell.. happy.gif
GaryDAI
This Midori no Hibi anime is hilarious happy.gif
virilevocalist
Well, one thing you could do to consistently find good titles is go to sites like Anime News Network, and check the top 10/20/200 lists...
touff-ray
One reason is clearly fillers. I hate fillers. I used to watch Naruto and Bleach but now, it's totally meaningless... So, manga adaptations suck :twisted:

QUOTE(virilevocalist)

HARUHI IS AWESOME!!!!  

I've watched it both ways! In order of airdate and in chronological order!!!  

some things in the series are TOTALLY unexpected given the way the series starts off!!!  

And there are SO MANY references to other animes, like Full Metal Panic!!  

Damn good anime.

Totally agree :bungood:
If you wanna read the original book (well, only the first one sad.gif ), there is an english translation
here. Pretty good work 8)
virilevocalist
yeah! also here: http://project.baka-tsuki.net/index.php?ti...Suzumiya_Haruhi

They're going for all 8 volumes!
touff-ray
:foxtt:
Oh thank you so much !
Fatcop420
QUOTE(GaryDAI)
I thought the Prince of Tennis anime was pretty good.  

Prince of Tennis was an anime I used to watch religiously. I was the kind of guy that would idle in the anime-otaku irc channel an hour or two before release and be one of the first to snag their DLs of the bot. The anime started off very well and carried itself fairly well to the end. All the characters were very well explained and they were bad ass too! Tezuka ftw. smile.gif

Yeah, I do agree with you that there is a lack of some good new anime. And I also agree with the fact that 13/26 ep animes are just horrid. When it comes to the 26 ep animes, I find myself slowly starting to enjoy the character development and storyline just to be simply shotdown by the abrupt and rushed 26 ep ending.

With the limited options, there isn't much to view. But if you are the kind of guy that generally enjoys Shonen type anime, I highly recommend Hunter x Hunter. The anime, imo, is perfection. The anime has all the necessary essentials of being a solid underdog shonen style anime; no filler garbage, solid character developments, thick plot, massive and epic battles, and edge-of-seat style extra bad-ass enemies. The anime is relatively old and is hard to get, but i would highly recommend it.

There are other options too. Honey and Clover is a typical 26 ep anime but the story line, humor, relationships within characters, and the overall plot flow perfectly. Its sort of a love-anime but it isn't even remotely close to the average harem stuff like Love Hina, Shuffle, and the typical stuff one would expect to see. Its unique in its own style and is rated very highly on anime sites.

Hmm, a website i'd recommend you take a good look at is www.animeacademy.com . The site is run by passionate anime fans that have seen a LOT MORE than an average anime lover. Anywho, these passionate anime fans critique the anime in a proper, unbiased fashion and give it a letter grade. So it would be very easy for you to sift and find what you like. The only pain would exist in being able to find some of the older and more classic anime.

Hope this helps !
GaryDAI
I'm not sure if it's a good thing that Bleach is coming to the US. I'm going to give it a try though happy.gif The second black power ranger will be voicing Ichigo. I think he did Vash's voice in that other anime.

Atleast there won't be much editing, since it's on Adult Swim.

Naruto's english dub is decent. Sakura sounds like she's having an orgasm in some episodes though.
GaryDAI
Believe it or not, I've never watched an episode of Gundam laugh.gif I'm downloading Gundam Seed right now, since it's rated so high.

Should I watch the sequel "Gundam Seed Destiny" though? I heard it stunk... Don't spoil me though please! I haven't even watched episode one of the prequel happy.gif Maybe a yes/no answer to be vague haha
touff-ray
I have watched Gundam Wing, Seed and Seed Destiny. I think Gundam Seed is worth seeing, but Gundam Seed Destiny was disappointing compared to Gundam Seed.
But if you're a mecha fan, go for both :wink:
GaryDAI
Ah thanks alot happy.gif Guess I'll skip Seed Destiny then.

I remember I loved that Gundam Wing opening. I downloaded a clip of it a long time ago. I think two-mix did the song!
touff-ray
Yes, it was Two-Mix with Just Communication smile.gif

Has anyone watched Noein here ? I don't know if I should download it
GaryDAI
Never heard of that anime sad.gif I'm going to download it though lol

Finished watching about 15 episodes of GW so far. I don't think I'm going to watch another episode... This fllay/flay whatever girl may be the most annoying character ever created. I pull my hair out every time she appears.

Good overall story though... She cancels out any positive feelings I get from it though.
Imaginary Buddie
Well currently I really enjoy Blood+, Ergo Proxy, and Nana. Those 3 animes, I just love to watch. Recently I got to watch Haruhi Suzumiya and Genshiken. I'd recommend them, good stuff to watch. I wish there were girl otaku in Densha Otoko too, hehe. And I still follow Naruto and Bleach on low priority.

Lately, I've actually been rewatching some anime's on dvd. Anime in all it's widescreen glory is awesome! I was sick this past weekend and watched all of Samurai Champloo on dvd. Also started off the GITS SAC dvds too biggrin.gif
touff-ray
QUOTE(GaryDAI)

Finished watching about 15 episodes of GW so far.  I don't think I'm going to watch another episode... This fllay/flay whatever girl may be the most annoying character ever created.  I pull my hair out every time she appears.    

Haha I understand that feeling. But once she... Well, try to watch some more episodes :wink:
GaryDAI
Well I had nothing else to do so I watched more lol...I'm so weak laugh.gif

I'm up to episode 33 now! Still a wonderful story, except for the excesses flashbacks. I wonder when Athrun & kira will kiss laugh.gif
touff-ray
Flashbacks are part of animes now :roll: It's so easy to re-use parts of older episodes...

QUOTE(GaryDAI)
I wonder when Athrun & kira will kiss

Haha, Gundam Seed is not the kind of anime where you will see that. :foxxd:
GaryDAI
Alright I finished all 50 episodes! The last 20 episodes were amazing. It wasn't the mecha fights that impressed me though, because I've never been a mecha fan (hated evangelion and rahxephon) . The story carried the entire show imo. Music was not the best, but enjoyable.

I've never seen so many people in need of some anger management classes too laugh.gif Some people just need a hug happy.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to see that actually happen in real life. It's going to happen sooner or later. People wanting to have the perfect baby or one that cannot get sick.

I'm off to watfch Gundam Seed Destiny now and see how horrible it is happy.gif
touff-ray
Man, you are... fast :shock:
Gundam Seed is a good anime first thanks to its story. But the fact that the mecha design is nice does help too biggrin.gif
GaryDAI
Finished the first two episodes of Gundam Seed Destiny. Are these the same writers? What the heck happened lol! I didn't feel excited once. Well actually I did, but it was just a couple of seconds. When lacus boob flashed before me in the opening laugh.gif

Don't tell me this Shinn guy is going to go all emo and get revenge on Kira the entire series.

edit: ahh it seems he's mad at cagalli sleep.gif is the zaft chairman voiced by the same person as kenshin's master? hiko seijuro tongue.gif they sound alike
touff-ray
Well, that's why I told you it wasn't really worth seeing tongue.gif .
The poor Shin has lost his family during the previous war, and now he is a Gundam pilot, and he doesn't like Cagali because he helds her a little responsible for the death of his whole family, and Kira neither, and etc.
But the story gets a little more interesting once you try to understand the Chiarman's position 8)

QUOTE(GaryDAI)
Don't tell me this Shinn guy is going to go all emo and get revenge on Kira the entire series.

edit: ahh it seems he's mad at cagalli sleep.gif  is the zaft chairman voiced by the same person as kenshin's master? hiko seijuro tongue.gif they sound alike

Actually he will try to get revenge (and succeed ?) till the end...

Afer doing some research, it's the same person ( Shuuichi IKEDA) who voices the chairman and keishin's master. Dude, I haven't paid attention to that :shock:
GaryDAI
Ok I finished GSD laugh.gif I admit I skimmed through alot of the first 30 episodes. It was so boring!!! The music sucked too laugh.gif

Why didn't shinn asuka die? WHY?!?!?!?! What's with blaming every bad thing that happens on someone else. This guy is so annoying!

As far as I'm concerned, GSD never happened happy.gif
Dinaluban61
I also have to agree that animes these days aren't as captivating. Give me Akira anyday.

Though I had to recently break my anime hiatus for a little bit because IB told me about School Rumble 2nd season, and I just had to watch it. Hehe, I don't have enough will power. :roll:
curare
QUOTE(touff-ray @ Jul 30 2006, 09:29 AM) *

Yes, it was Two-Mix with Just Communication smile.gif
Has anyone watched Noein here ? I don't know if I should download it

WAAAAAAAAAYYY Late post on this, but I am new to the site.. Noein was pretty good (if you did not see it) I liked the sketchy animation, pseudo manga..

Finishing up on Night Head Genesis, Witchblade is not to bad, and catching up to my other downloads of Ergo Proxy, and wonderful days.. WD is a bit old, Korean and Japanese collaboration, though there is a lot of anime that has been worked on in Korea.. FF7 etc. even some of Avatar.
touff-ray
Thought I would leave some recent and pretty good anime titles here for those who haven't time to watch 20 different animes smile.gif
- Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha : produced by Bones, directed byTensai Okamura (Wolf's Rain)
- Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) : produced by Production IG, directed by Kenji Kamiyama (GITS SAC) and music by Kenji Kawai =)
- Romeo x Juliet : produced by Gonzo, adapted from you know what =)
- Lovely Complex : produced bu Toei Animation, directed by K˘nosuke Uda (One Piece), from the shoujo manga also entitled Lovely Complex

Now, less mainstream but really funny :
- Lucky Star by nearly all the staff who has worked on The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
- Hayate no Gotoku (Hayate the Combat Butler) : directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi (Getsumen to Heiki Mina)
GaryDAI
I'm going to try Seirei no Moribito out. I read the description on ANN and it seemed interesting smile.gif

Have you watched Code Geass? The first 23 episodes are great. It's a shame it's on a break now sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.