Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Substance abuse??!!
Do As Infinity Forum > Headquarters > Van Tomiko
Pages: 1, 2
*TangerineRaven*
So yesterday when I was waiting in line for a Puffy concert (woot, I was first in line), there was this [older] guy, and we were just talking about different Japanese bands. I, of course, brought up Do As Infinity.

Me: There were soo amazing

Him: Yeah, they were amazing. Did you know that Tomiko was struggling with substance abuse? That's why her voice started not sounding as good.

Me: ....... WHAT?!?! No.. she only smokes! She never had any problems with..

Him: Yeah, she did.

Me: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR SOURCES FROM?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :evil: (<that's really what my face looked like)

Him: Oh, I have connections in Japan..

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So what I'm asking... is this true?? (I hope not) I mean, if she did have problems with it, wouldn't have SOMEONE on this fourm known about it by now?

Sorry if this brings up controversy, but I think I and everyone here needs to know if this is true. :cry:
davus0
You should have asked him about his connections in Japan. Probably they're some forumer.

If not that, he more probably heard nothing but an authentically Japanese rumor. Being Japanese doesn't make a source reliable

At the same time, this has crossed my mind in the past (just out of the ether) Somehow it makes sense to me with my impression of her personality
Shigure
Ban-chan is not that kind of person, everything she says in her interviews, in her diary and the lyrics she writes have contrary meanings. I'm sorry, but this info doesn't really fits with the person ban-chan seems to be.
virilevocalist
yeesh, where is ogawa-san, when you need him to quell any possible rumors...
avan_piper
nah, cant be true.does taking substance ruin your voice anyway?

i thought it's more towards ruining ur health....
shidosan
I think the Japanese press are as vicious as ours, so if any kind of rumor like that was circulating around, at least one publication would have printed it by now... People are probably just saying that cause she wasn't as energetic at concerts and gained some weight. That's not to say that she didn't have personal problems, but I doubt any problems she had were drug related. I'd say her "changes" could probably be a result of her making her decision to go solo. She has said in interviews that it was a very difficult time for her when she was deciding to do that, because she felt guilty. So I guess it's been a rough couple years for her, since she began thinking about going solo since the Mahou no Kotoba single was released.

Of course, this is just speculation, so I could be wrong. I hope I'm not though.
Kyo Kusanagi
Oh my, what wicked rumors...poor Ban-chan, to bad some people said this about her :foxcry: I agree with shidosan, it must be a rumor and it was written on one of those junk magazines.
shou
Most likely he was just yanking your chain. If there really was, I'm sure it would have made news.
mavrick_45
...not that there's anything wrong with substance abuse.....>___>
:roll:
yuubae
Substance abuse for musicians in Japan seems more serious than it is here (so I've heard Hikki say in English interviews and seen some evidence for this myself). The old drummer for Laruku (Sakurai) was arrested and kicked out of the band for that in '98. Hikki said that they could pull your CDs off shelves, too.

Maybe I think of Ban-chan too highly, but I don't think she had a problem with substance abuse. :?
davus0
I guess I think less of her. With stuff like this you might as well believe what feels natural to believe
shidosan
QUOTE(yuubae)
Substance abuse for musicians in Japan seems more serious than it is here (so I've heard Hikki say in English interviews and seen some evidence for this myself).  The old drummer for Laruku (Sakurai) was arrested and kicked out of the band for that in '98.  Hikki said that they could pull your CDs off shelves, too.

Maybe I think of Ban-chan too highly, but I don't think she had a problem with substance abuse.   :?

Yeah, I've heard about stuff like that happening in Japan. It would be very difficult to restart your career after being found guilty of substance abuse.
virilevocalist
hmm, reminds me of Daishi from Psycho Le Cemu.

And exactly what is she supposedly abusing? Crack? Cocaine? Smack? Crank? Speed? Sniffing glue? Acid? Crystal Meth? Sniffing Whipped Cream Cans? Permanent Markers? Marijuana? Alcohol?

If it's marijuana & alcohol, I'm not too worried. It's almost standard with parties.
green
QUOTE(*TangerineRaven*)
Him: Yeah, they were amazing.  Did you know that Tomiko was struggling with substance abuse?  That's why her voice started not sounding as good.

when did her voice start sounding not so good? around GoH? :?:
davus0
QUOTE(virilevocalist)

And exactly what is she supposedly abusing? Crack? Cocaine? Smack? Crank? Speed? Sniffing glue? Acid? Crystal Meth? Sniffing Whipped Cream Cans? Permanent Markers? Marijuana? Alcohol?

If it's marijuana & alcohol, I'm not too worried. It's almost standard with parties.

Also the canned air that's always cold (for dusting comps) and if you blow it too close it foams. The foam tingles like messages from God in your sinuses

I would guess just alcohol in immoderation... after all her favorite drink is some crazy drink that only drunks would like. That would explain the voice damage from acid reflux
tomikolover
Her voice seemed to only get better IMO..umm..substance abuse? doubt it..lol.
shidosan
QUOTE(davus0)
QUOTE(virilevocalist)

Also the canned air that's always cold (for dusting comps) and if you blow it too close it foams. The foam tingles like messages from God in your sinuses

I would guess just alcohol in immoderation... after all her favorite drink is some crazy drink that only drunks would like. That would explain the voice damage from acid reflux

She actually did injure her vocal chords while on tour with Do As Infinity in the past, though I forget when it was. I'd check the specifics, but the map of the heart website is down at the moment. I forget if they had to cut some performance dates out of the tour, but it was bad enough that they had Kazco sing "Painful" so that Tomiko could rest for a bit.

*edit*
I finally was able to check this out. She hurt her vocal chords halfway through the True Song tour in 2003. They actually didn't cut any performances, but they did cut some songs from the remaining shows, along with having Kazco sing Painful. I'm not sure how to interpret this, but, the site also mentions that they modified the acoustic portion of the show to "Ryo's solo" after Tomiko hurt her voice. I'm not sure if that means Ryo played and sang by himself, or if he played the vocal line on guitar while Hayashibe played backup. Or he might have played a cover of Kiss. Anyway, I thought that was pretty interesting.
lone-wolf
all these tabloids and rumours from unknown sources have made me numb.. unless i have pictures or tomiko comes out to confess, i'm believing none of it..
Shigure
QUOTE(shidosan)

*edit*  
I finally was able to check this out.  She hurt her vocal chords halfway through the True Song tour in 2003.  They actually didn't cut any performances, but they did cut some songs from the remaining shows, along with having Kazco sing Painful.  I'm not sure how to interpret this, but, the site also mentions that they modified the acoustic portion of the show to "Ryo's solo" after Tomiko hurt her voice.  I'm not sure if that means Ryo played and sang by himself, or if he played the vocal line on guitar while Hayashibe played backup.  Or he might have played a cover of Kiss.  Anyway, I thought that was pretty interesting.

o.o That's really new for me. And I always thought that ban-chan was becoming a better singer and her voice skills were getting better. XD
davus0
QUOTE(shidosan)
QUOTE(davus0)
QUOTE(virilevocalist)

She actually did injure her vocal chords while on tour with Do As Infinity in the past, though I forget when it was. I'd check the specifics, but the map of the heart website is down at the moment. I forget if they had to cut some performance dates out of the tour, but it was bad enough that they had Kazco sing "Painful" so that Tomiko could rest for a bit.

*edit*
I finally was able to check this out. She hurt her vocal chords halfway through the True Song tour in 2003. They actually didn't cut any performances, but they did cut some songs from the remaining shows, along with having Kazco sing Painful. I'm not sure how to interpret this, but, the site also mentions that they modified the acoustic portion of the show to "Ryo's solo" after Tomiko hurt her voice. I'm not sure if that means Ryo played and sang by himself, or if he played the vocal line on guitar while Hayashibe played backup. Or he might have played a cover of Kiss. Anyway, I thought that was pretty interesting.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that voice damage was caused by alcohol. I'm saying some might worsen it.

Likely it was a lot of wear and tear (six years of frequently cavalier singing). Smoking, stress, other things - and this isn't to discount her choosing to sing differently, either.
shidosan
QUOTE(davus0)
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that voice damage was caused by alcohol.  I'm saying some might worsen it.  

Likely it was a lot of wear and tear (six years of frequently cavalier singing).  Smoking, stress, other things - and this isn't to discount her choosing to sing differently, either.

Yeah, DAI's concert schedule during tours was brutal. It was almost like having a show every other day for 3 months straight. That's gotta be rough. I honestly thought Tomiko hurt herself when she sang Yotaka no Yume in Live in Japan 2. Anyway, I still don't think she had any problems with substance abuse. It was just wear and tear from all those concerts piling up over the years.
avan_piper
just curious, how do you hurt your voice? like well, how exactly?

is it like over-using and having sorta like a sore throat?
shidosan
QUOTE(avan_piper)

Yeah, I believe it has something to do with overuse. I guess your vocal chords are like any other part of your body - it can only take so much abuse before it gives out. I've heard that it can be very serious, to the point where you couldn't even perform anymore. Something like this happened to Celine Dion years back, and to recover, she reportedly didn't speak a single word for over a month or so.
Kyo Kusanagi
QUOTE(shidosan)
QUOTE(davus0)
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that voice damage was caused by alcohol.  I'm saying some might worsen it.  

Likely it was a lot of wear and tear (six years of frequently cavalier singing).  Smoking, stress, other things - and this isn't to discount her choosing to sing differently, either.

Yeah, DAI's concert schedule during tours was brutal. It was almost like having a show every other day for 3 months straight. That's gotta be rough. I honestly thought Tomiko hurt herself when she sang Yotaka no Yume in Live in Japan 2. Anyway, I still don't think she had any problems with substance abuse. It was just wear and tear from all those concerts piling up over the years.

What??? Oh my...I' ve leart something new about J-music industry: not only an album a year from the most popular artists, but LOTS of concerts as well O_o Here in Italy the tightest times singers have are 1 album every other year and about 2 concert a week during tours XD
avan_piper
QUOTE(shidosan)
QUOTE(avan_piper)

Yeah, I believe it has something to do with overuse. I guess your vocal chords are like any other part of your body - it can only take so much abuse before it gives out. I've heard that it can be very serious, to the point where you couldn't even perform anymore. Something like this happened to Celine Dion years back, and to recover, she reportedly didn't speak a single word for over a month or so.

yea, so it's something like over-straining...ouch, that must have hurt.

and yup, since they produced an album a year, they must have had to finish the yearly tour in that year itself too...a lot of tight schedule. and the tv shows too~~
xtraine01
i think ban-chan's just STRESSED OUT, thats why her voice seems to sound different.... i dont think she's into those stuff

[size=18]stress ???

take stress tabs, your multi vitamins from A to Z..happy.gif
*TangerineRaven*
QUOTE(xtraine01)

Yes, our Ban-chan needs to stay healthy and take all her vitamins! :foxramen:
shidosan
QUOTE(Kyo Kusanagi)
What??? Oh my...I' ve leart something new about J-music industry: not only an album a year from the most popular artists, but LOTS of concerts as well O_o Here in Italy the tightest times singers have are 1 album every other year and about 2 concert a week during tours XD

Here's something else that might surprise you. We all know about Do As Infinity's arena tours, cause those were typically the ones that were put out on DVD or shown on tv. But, in addition to that, Do As did annual tours of college campuses and live houses. (If you watched the anime Beck, you can kind of get the idea of what a live house is. It's a fairly small venue, where underground bands play at to break out in the industry.) They also frequently did in-store performances. Then of course, there's the A-nation tour in the summer. They'd do a few performances on their anniversary, then they'd do a countdown live on New Year's eve. And during all of this, they're recording an album, appearing on tv, etc. It was really a brutal schedule. I don't know enough about other Japanese bands' live schedules to do a comparison, but Do As was a very active band. I highly doubt many other bands performed as many lives as Do As did during their run. Do As was basically on tour since they started performing outdoors on the streets of Shibuya. That is truly amazing. What really surprised me, was the fact that they still took the time to perform at live houses and at college campuses, despite being so popular. With their popularity, they could have just done one arena tour a year, and yet they still regularly performed at smaller venues.
green
QUOTE(shidosan)
QUOTE(Kyo Kusanagi)

Here's something else that might surprise you. We all know about Do As Infinity's arena tours, cause those were typically the ones that were put out on DVD or shown on tv. But, in addition to that, Do As did annual tours of college campuses and live houses. (If you watched the anime Beck, you can kind of get the idea of what a live house is. It's a fairly small venue, where underground bands play at to break out in the industry.) They also frequently did in-store performances. Then of course, there's the A-nation tour in the summer. They'd do a few performances on their anniversary, then they'd do a countdown live on New Year's eve. And during all of this, they're recording an album, appearing on tv, etc. It was really a brutal schedule. I don't know enough about other Japanese bands' live schedules to do a comparison, but Do As was a very active band. I highly doubt many other bands performed as many lives as Do As did during their run. Do As was basically on tour since they started performing outdoors on the streets of Shibuya. That is truly amazing. What really surprised me, was the fact that they still took the time to perform at live houses and at college campuses, despite being so popular. With their popularity, they could have just done one arena tour a year, and yet they still regularly performed at smaller venues.

oh, i thought they performed at college campuses only for a year or two after they debuted...?
and the countdown live was just for the tour from [DO THE LIVE], right?

but, yah. they worked hard, i agree. and they weren't super popular for it, either. :cry:

anyways, about hurting your voice. didn't Kaori from ELT do that?
davus0
QUOTE(xtraine01)
i think ban-chan's just STRESSED OUT, thats why her voice seems to sound different.... i dont think she's into those stuff

[size=18]stress ???  

Yes "vitamins"
shidosan
QUOTE(green)
QUOTE(shidosan)
QUOTE(Kyo Kusanagi)

oh, i thought they performed at college campuses only for a year or two after they debuted...?
and the countdown live was just for the tour from [DO THE LIVE], right?

but, yah. they worked hard, i agree. and they weren't super popular for it, either. :cry:

anyways, about hurting your voice. didn't Kaori from ELT do that?

They actually did a college campus tour in 2004, and the countdown lives were done for Break of Dawn, Deep Forest, and Do the Live.

And yes, you're right, I did hear about Kaori hurting her voice as well. Not too sure when that happened though.
davus0
She had bronchitis right at the time of commonplace tour

two weeks off then touring

Avex = cruel

But she took care of herself during the performances (hence the acoustic versions of so much[?]) and backstage. She recovered pretty well, it seems to me
saiko_gal
QUOTE(*TangerineRaven*)
Him: Oh, I have connections in Japan..

lol! Is this really where the conversation ended? We're suppose to take his word on "I have connections in Japan"? Not even telling you what his "connection" said or when it happened? That's the biggest load of crud I ever heard. He probably just wanted to make you think he was cool and "in the know" since Japan=Mecca.

Finding out she smoked has already dulled me to any "omg, Vanchan! How could you?!" reactions, so I wouldn't really be upset with her if she had tried drugs. The dude from Friends had a heroine addiction. Everybody makes mistakes and some are really stupid ones.

Hearing of their awful schedules I think we all have our reason for why Vanchan's voice has been getting worse. Your throat is just like any other part of the body, and you can jack it up just the same as an athlete. Stupid Avex. You know it's their fault. They milk everybody who's popular under their label.

They performed at colleges? DAI's such a cool band! :buncry:
SilverAutomatic
QUOTE(shidosan)
Something like this happened to Celine Dion years back, and to recover, she reportedly didn't speak a single word for over a month or so.

And the crowd went wild. XD

In all seriousness though...

To have someone say to me 'I have connections' is like me saying to them 'I know every city in the world'. It just doesn't ring true. (Especially if you've ever actually seen me. I look like a total moron - though looks can be deceiving XD).

From what i've been able to find, there isn't really anything mentioned anywhere about Tomiko using any kind of substance. You can even check for a few yourself if you know what to look for. Granted, most of the marks can be covered with make-up, but there's still that tell-tale sign that there is something there.

It just doesn't seem true to me. I dunno... bias maybe?
Kyo Kusanagi
QUOTE(xtraine01)

[size=18]stress ???  

We got a silly commercial like that in Italy, if I remember well the name of that stuff here is Multicentrum :rolling:

Shidosan, that' s really a lot of performances...I have a feeling that those guys at Avex are aliens who suck energy from singers under their label to feed some ultra-massive weapon ^^;
jabig
I think DAI didn't 'Do the College Tour' in the past. In 2004 they just did 2 shows in colleges and that for the special event of the college.
- Aoyama Gakuin Woman's junior College. (Anniversary.. something ..I can't remember)
- Tokai Daigaku. (50 years Anniversary.)and..I was there that day.
shidosan
QUOTE(jabig)
I think DAI didn't 'Do the College Tour' in the past. In 2004 they just did 2 shows in colleges and that for the special event of the college.
  - Aoyama Gakuin Woman's junior College. (Anniversary.. something ..I can't remember)
  - Tokai Daigaku. (50 years Anniversary.)and..I was there that day.

They did much more earlier in their career. Those earlier college campus performances were much longer. Still, in 2004, Do As was already established as a band - so it's great they even went to college campuses at all. I'm not sure if you'd see other top Avex acts like Ayumi Hamasaki doing that...
davus0
It just doesn't seem true to me. I dunno... bias maybe?

I'm completely convinced that it's true

I think celebrity handlers from makeup to photoshop plus crazy lifestyle of tortured Avex artist more or less fubars the normal telltale signs
saiko_gal
QUOTE(HanyouDCTU)
QUOTE(shidosan)
Something like this happened to Celine Dion years back, and to recover, she reportedly didn't speak a single word for over a month or so.

XD

The idea of Ayumi Hamasaki going to a college campus is scary. The mayhem...it would just be unchartable. :shock:
avan_piper
QUOTE(saiko_gal)
QUOTE(HanyouDCTU)
QUOTE(shidosan)

XD

The idea of Ayumi Hamasaki going to a college campus is scary. The mayhem...it would just be unchartable. :shock:

she did go to a high school or was it a primary school before....where she sang acoustic to the kids or something? but yeah, the thought of it is scary enough....

btw saiko_gal~~ kimura kaela's songs are kinda good, arent they? I just discovered her few days ago, her voice is nice and full. Any good songs to recommend? i got her magic music single and it's great!
davus0
Wow Ayu at a primary school? I hope she didn't forget a blanket so that she could sit down

=O
avan_piper
yea, i remembered clearly she went to a kid's school, with her guitarist and performed acousticly, i forgot which song.

here's the link, it was an elementary school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWex3SaNzDs...rimary%20school
Shigure
Mika Nakashima also performed some of her songs in a high school graduation ceremony! It was very nice, and it was a surprise! o.o You can clearly heard the yells from the girls when she appeared on the stage! XD
tomikolover
QUOTE(avan_piper)
yea, i remembered clearly she went to a kid's school, with her guitarist and performed acousticly, i forgot which song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWex3SaNzDs&search=Ayumi%20primary%20school

Soo cute. smile.gif
*TangerineRaven*
QUOTE(avan_piper)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWex3SaNzDs&search=Ayumi%20primary%20school

If Ban-chan went to an elementary school, and the school band performed one of her or Do As Infinity's songs, I think she would have tears in her eyes :cry:

I'm not really a Ayumi fan, but that's a really cool vid. Thanks.

EDIT:

DAI composed "Seasons"!! I didn't know that :/
shidosan
QUOTE(*TangerineRaven*)
DAI composed "Seasons"!! I didn't know that :/

He practically composed all of Ayu's more famous songs...
avan_piper
yea...TO BE,SEASONS, dearest...blue, will...boys & girls...whole lot more.

but i cant help wondering how those songs are gonna be if Ban Chan's the one singing them, must be pretty weird....

what songs can you see Tomiko singing, from those Ayu songs composed by Dai? I guess Will will sound pretty good.
Tape
Flip up any DAI song and find the lyrics or something and you'll know Ban's not into that stuff. 8)
SilverAutomatic
On the flip side of that - check out most of the backgrounds during L.I.J 2 and you'll see that someone on the tour crew is. ("Glasses", anyone?)
davus0
:confused:

someone with glasses is on drugs

or the song Glasses

Yea Tomiko should sing Boys and Girls kyahaha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.