Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grave of the Fireflies the
Do As Infinity Forum > Downtown > Anime & Game Center
davus0
The most upsetting anime ever is now...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491652/

Total prejudgment by me: changing the aunt into a/the protagonist seems an outright contradiction of the original film's program of isolating the kids. Touching this title again, especially with television, will in all probability just weaken it. If their aim is a conventional economic survival/progress story Barefoot Gen would have been a better choice.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327/board/...d/nest/31584661 Short discussion with more links.
maikeru
I've seen it, and it's actually quite good. They did a good job with the casting and getting to see the aunt's POV is an interesting change. I never really read the novel so I don't know how close the story was followed, but compared to the animated movie, for the most part it was pretty much the same. And it's just as sad.

BTW, it's not a tv series. It was a tv movie special.
mavrick_45
funniest movie ever.....

...oh wait........nevermind....
davus0
QUOTE(maikeru)
I've seen it, and it's actually quite good.  They did a good job with the casting and getting to see the aunt's POV is an interesting change.  I never really read the novel so I don't know how close the story was followed, but compared to the animated movie, for the most part it was pretty much the same.  And it's just as sad.

BTW, it's not a tv series.  It was a tv movie special.

Thanks for the info :grin: any new spoilers? XD
frozen ray
is this worth watching? cause i've already seen the movie.. so is it basically the same thing?
maikeru
well, if you like the animated version then you'll probably like the live action one. There is a slight twist and it's really neat seeing the whole thing done by real actors.
frozen ray
QUOTE(maikeru)
well, if you like the animated version then you'll probably like the live action one.  There is a slight twist and it's really neat seeing the whole thing done by real actors.

ooooh... its live action!!~ i sooo wanna c...
Tangerine Dreamer
I think it would be really surreal watching this as a live action ... I'd be interested to see it, though. That anime is the saddest movie I've ever seen, live or not ... and I didn't know it had originally been a book, either. Were the kids or the aunt the main focus of the novel?
zany003
Isn't this the one with Nanako Matsushima playing the aunt and Mao Inoue playing her daughter? The wiki.d-addicts site doesn't really give the names for the actors playing Seita or Setsuko.

My comments are gonna reflect the drama with Matsushima and Inoue. (you're gonna have to high light since it contains spoilers)

The drama seems to elaborate more on the anime, and I guess it made more sense as to why Seita had to protect his sister all the time. (I haven't watched the anime in a long time, and I doubt I have a copy around my house). In the anime, they focused more on the kids (obviously). In the drama, the aunt has three more kids. One has asthma, so whenever they get rations, the aunt would give more rice to her own kids rather than Seita and Setsuko (her nephew and niece). And Seita does sit around all day with Setsuko, you wonder why he won't work with his cousins until you remember that his father (Navy colonel) told him he better protect his mom and his sister. Personally, I thought that was stressed more in the drama than in the anime. I also felt really angry towards the aunt cuz she made a promise to her cousin (Seita and Setsuko's mom), but I guess a mom always feels like she has to take care of her kids first before other kids.

Hmm, what else? I did cry while watching the drama, but not as much when I watched the anime. I guess I knew what to expect already. :dunno: But yeah, I recommend people to watch the drama if they've watched the anime.

The drama was done to commemorate the 60th year anniversary of the surrender/war or whatever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.