Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LET'S JUST TALK
Do As Infinity Forum > Downtown > Kit Kat Jam
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52
HeartlessCloud
Always. Applying to grad school right now. Very weird feeling...I want to and believe it's what I have to do but have been dicking around with applying...my application is done and I need to write a personal statement, including an answer to why am I at a point in my life where I feel grad school is essential? Good question...
zany003
So you applied to grad school, but is the personal statement for getting accepted into a program?

The school I did undergrad didn't require all those formalities--recommendation letters, personal statements--so, I got freaked out with the whole grad school process.

I waited three years to continue--only because I wanted to feel "settled" with work and psyched myself up over the application process. But even if you feel "settled with work, school just makes it harder to balance everything.

I can't speak for others, but from my experience--have your friends around so you can vent. Whether it's work stuff or school stuff. If you can't vent freely, you will go crazy and become forgetful.

=\
HeartlessCloud
Good advice.

The personal letter is part of the application process. I just feel halted up on everything. But I only have a few weeks, so I'm going to sit down and try to write at least something today.
davus0
HC, I'm always happy to read over your statement(s) if you want...
zany003
QUOTE(davus0 @ Nov 9 2011, 08:54 AM) *

That said... I was indecisive in the past, and tried to go both ways at once.

And I'm indecisive now. Applying to grad school or law school or something. I would like to be an English teacher but the market might force me to work in Asia for a long long time, I am not sure of the approach, and frankly speaking I am not sure of what I want. I seem to have a fear of being poor / not having a doctorate and being upper class >_<

But - I'd be happy to read your PS if you want.

I thought you were going for the east asian studies program or something like that?

A lot of people think about teaching English to foreigners, and I hate to ask but "What's wrong with teaching locally?"
davus0
@Zany: It is a long story, hard to sum up. Basically teaching overseas is just a different scene; it's not really the thing for some people, but it suits some people (I think it suits/suited me pretty well).

As for EAS... -I majored in that as an undergrad...
zany003
have you thought about JET? i was able to ask my friend about it, it seems a bit of a dead-end if you're the type who wants to work for something progressive.
FOBulous
Hey Everyone. I just got back from a trip to Shanghai and Beijing. Terrible air quality. Anyway, thanks for the congrats. It's good to hear from you all.

But I'm sorry to hear about the uncertainty of everyone's future plans. I read somewhere it's tougher now for recent grads compared to my time. That's why I guess a lot of people are pursuing advanced degrees or continued schooling.

I think it's hit or miss either way. I've heard both sides. I know people who've stayed in school to earn their MBAs only to still take the same entry level job they would have got after undergrad. But my cousin who works in Shanghai, did his grad school out there and was quickly picked up by PepsiCo. Asia and does pretty good for himself.

I think in the end, you really need both. Education and work experience. But if I've learned anything, it's really all about you. Companies just want someone who's easy to work with and competent at their job.

That being said try and do exactly what you want. Don't settle for something in the meantime. I wasted a lot of time working on something else and now I'm trying to be where I truly want to be. It's tough because I'm old. But still, that won't stop me.

So keep at it and try not to be jaded by the system. The negativity will ruin you. And it's just not worth being down and out over. Hang in there and be positive! Trust me, it makes a difference. smile.gif
davus0
@Zany: Thanks for asking your friend! Believe me, the EFL industry is full of good and bad options. I am also full of options to bursting my brains @_@

You teach high school right? What degree are you going for? I want to get a Masters in Secondary Eng Ed but I'm shy and wonder if I should get more experience before deciding.

@FOB: Thanks for that post - very helpful words.

Anway, congratulations again on your marriage =)
Tangerine Dreamer
I've heard awesome things about JET, but given that it's a one-year-and-you're-done program, there's no room for advancement unless you're actually looking at working for the administration. Also, as intense as I've heard the application/interview process is, JET is one of the easier ways to get an EFL job in Japan right now because the market is so oversaturated. Everyone flocked to Japan to teach English, so now there are more English teachers than there are jobs, so everyone's moving on to Korea. Different if you have an advanced degree, though, or even substantial prior EFL experience.

There's also the British School in Tokyo. Interviewed for an admin position there, didn't get it, but they definitely seem to have their shit together.
davus0
I had quite a time in Korea...
zany003
QUOTE(davus0 @ Nov 15 2011, 04:41 PM) *

@Zany: Thanks for asking your friend! Believe me, the EFL industry is full of good and bad options. I am also full of options to bursting my brains @_@

You teach high school right? What degree are you going for? I want to get a Masters in Secondary Eng Ed but I'm shy and wonder if I should get more experience before deciding.

I teach high school, going for masters in teaching math. Haha, it doesn't matter if you're shy when you're taking classes in something you're genuinely interested in. I only had two years of teaching experience once I started, and it helped because at least I can understand where some of my peers are coming from and can contribute a little more. Also, it helps that I have access to students if I need to teach a lesson, do an assessment, and report results.

And I forgot--since I'm used to the routines with my day job, I'm able to balance work and school. I still get stressed out, but not as bad as my 1st or 2nd year.

Check if your program requires some teaching experience or access to a teaching laboratory aka classroom for some courses.
davus0
In all honesty it sounds like you planned out your life much better than I've done so far.

By the way, how was IQ84? I was avoiding it because the book is huge, and it got some bad reviews. But this one - http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2...agination=false - was pretty positive. It makes some good points about Murakami overall, too, like how he is basically a Romantic
zany003
It only seems like I got my life planned, but it's more of--my social life sucks, so I might as well find something to do with my time so people don't think I'm lame.

I was advised by my colleagues that if I wait to go back to school, I will have a harder time adjusting--because after so many years of teaching, I'd forget what it's like to be a student. So that also encouraged me to go for it.

That review of 1Q84 summarizes the whole story. It's a thick book, but I found the story to be so good that I finished it in 5 days. The review was right that at the heart of it, the story is a love story. Going through the motions to see how Tengo and Aomame meet put me on the edge of my seat. But honestly, I was SUPER disappointed with how they meet up. Like, "Seriously, that's it?!"

All that aside, upon closing the book, I felt.. at peace. Then remembered haha, I had to study for an exam. XD It really set me back with work and school. So if you can spare the time and don't mind a distraction, I'd say it's good.

I read South of the Border after you mentioned it's worth reading, and.. I felt angry reading it--angry at the guy's actions. I closed the book thinking, "Man, it'd suck to have a guy like that for a husband/boyfriend." IQ84 was probably the first Murakami novel I finished with a good feeling... well, aside from Hard-boiled. I didn't really enjoy Wind-up, but I plan on reading it again during the break.

davus0
Was it hard for you to get back into studying? I've heard that as well but figured it depends. Do you think your teaching is getting better?

It sounds as if IQ84 is much more positive than South of the Border.

The sad thing in SOTB is it's all just the history of Hajime's self-consciousness. And, he is a bit of nerd and a bit of a bastard.
zany003
To get back into studying--a little bit. It depends on the work you need to put into the class. If it's more like "read this, write a reflection", then that's easy. If it's more than that, then it's hard. I think that my teaching has gotten better because I'm more aware of current practices/standards in the mainland, and why kids "suck" locally.

About SOTB, what do you mean it's all just the history of Hajime's self-consciousness?

Off-topic but the past week I had to watch kids wrap presents for Christmas. The first couple of days, I wanted to push them aside and say, "watch and learn from a pro" because they were so wasteful with the wrapping paper! but instead, I let them wrap the presents, then asked if they wrap gifts for friends.

"No, we don't." (>__< Seriously?!)

But today was the first day they did such a good job. More efficient. By the time we're done with the whole gift-wrapping thing, I think my students will be experts.
davus0
Haha, I just realized your sig is from Please Teach Me English. Took me long enough as I have seen that multiple times... Sooo many good lines in that movie. "Guro-dong? That's a beautiful name."

As for SOTB - maybe it is beyond me to say >_< Self-consciousness is less accurate than just consciousness, or, consciousness of a self-centered person. Actually, it is wrong to say self-consciousness because the real driving power in the story is a subjective force from Shimamoto, Hajime, and life itself, while the veneer is one guy's life story. But the force that SOTB touches on, or which touches SOTB, goes beyond both consciousness and stories. In this, it is a more poetic, tragic, and human work than lots of Murakami's stuff.

Lately, I picked up "The Old Capital" and "Snow Country" by Kawabata...

BTW about giftwrap - they will thank you for that.
Tangerine Dreamer
Not much action here in Kit Kat Jam lately ...

Off in the Real World I've been having a blast as an intern at an independent book publisher and making good on photo-a-day goal. Also, a new year means it's time to do taxes soon, which means tax refund! Which I really need.

What are the rest of you up to?
davus0
Hey Tange, Happy New Year.

These days I am getting ready to go back to Korea...

lanfix
um..
happy valentine unsure.gif

IPB Image
HeartlessCloud
Haha, that's super cute. Nice!
inuchan
Very cute indeed smile.gif
ralph_caoile
rasshu ni tobikondeku MONDAY
kiri ni iranai SUUTSU de TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
koopi ni tsumazuita no THURSDAY
kirinuketa dake no FRIDAY
zutto

anyone who translates this line first, I'll give a 5 star...
ralph_caoile
IPB Image
HeartlessCloud
QUOTE(ralph_caoile @ Mar 18 2013, 01:43 AM) *

rasshu ni tobikondeku MONDAY
kiri ni iranai SUUTSU de TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
koopi ni tsumazuita no THURSDAY
kirinuketa dake no FRIDAY
zutto

anyone who translates this line first, I'll give a 5 star...

Week! of course. Love it.
ralph_caoile
no five star!
HeartlessCloud
Wh...why?
ralph_caoile
no translation!
HeartlessCloud
Oh. I knew that. I can read.

... sad.gif
HeartlessCloud
What's up, people?! What's new? Any Rock fans going to see ONE OK ROCK in New York or L.A. next year?
Cardea
No H.C., but I will be going to see Vildhjarta and Veil of Maya in Nov.
My gosh, I heard they were finally playing in a venue in the states (Even if it's going to take me two and a half days to get there.)
I'm pretty pumped up for it.
Especially Vildhjarta.
I'm taking my vacation week just to be able to go to this.
Lucky for me St. V. is really nice about negotiating schedules.
I was suppose to work a solid 2 1/3 weeks strait during this sad.gif!
Two of my lovely co-workers agreed to trade my shifts for me!
Pumped up now!

~Toodles
virilevocalist
YEAAAAH! BOTH THOSE BANDS ARE SICK!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.