Reply to this topicStart new topic
Google Buzz, A note on privacy for Gmail users
Tangerine Dreamer
post Feb 12 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #1

Ichi ka bachi

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,231

As any other Gmail users out there will know by now, Google has rolled out its answer to Facebook and Twitter: Google Buzz. I have no desire to use it, both because I already have Facebook (and LinkedIn) and because I don't want the e-mail I use exclusively for job-related correspondence hooked to a social network ...

BUT what Gmail users should know is that even if they haven't chosen to use Buzz, it's activated by default, and people in your contacts list may already be "following" you. This is based on most-used contacts, and someone may be following you even if you've blocked them in chat. If you don't have a Google profile (which I don't), this is less of a problem, but if you want to be rid of Buzz altogether you need to go to the bottom of your inbox page and hit "Turn off Buzz."

From what I've heard of Buzz -- aside from the privacy concerns -- it seems like it's still in somewhat of a beta version and quite buggy. For example, I've read people complaining that while they can set up feeds from other sites to publish (i.e., the user's flickr account), it doesn't let them choose what to publish: it's all or nothing.

Anyway, just thought I would give people a heads-up. Here's an article on the subject:
Google Buzz Still Has Major Privacy Flaw

Also, The Unofficial Guide to Google Buzz

UPDATE
Google Buzz Abandons Auto-Following Amid Privacy Concerns
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mavrick_45
post Feb 13 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Ghost of Admins Past

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 742

uhg, I was so annoyed at this.

stupid google, you're usually so awesome. mellow.gif

--------------------
Questions?/Problems?
Please read the FAQ here.To report a bug, click here

New Songs
Old Songs
+Quote Post
Stovila
post Feb 13 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Van Tomiko's

Member No.: 845

I am using GMAIL but not Buzz since I have no contact nor friends on my address book hahaha....

--------------------
Stovila Photography (New England, USA)
My Blog in Indonesia Language: MukaBantal (Datang dan berkomen ya :D)
My Twitter: Follow Me

INDONESIAN DAIForumer, Sign in here! - just a census.
+Quote Post
Tangerine Dreamer
post Feb 14 2010, 07:32 AM
Post #4

Ichi ka bachi

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,231

People can still follow you if you're in their address book -- or if a person just decides to add you -- unless you turn Buzz off.

What I still don't understand about this service is that they're touting it as (among other things) an easy way to discuss things with a certain group of people -- for example, you can publish a status update that's only visible to a certain group of people and exchange messages in a format that looks just a Gmail "conversation." So ... why not just use Gmail? It's redundant.
+Quote Post
Stovila
post Feb 18 2010, 02:36 AM
Post #5

Van Tomiko's

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(Tangerine Dreamer @ Feb 14 2010, 02:32 AM) *

People can still follow you if you're in their address book -- or if a person just decides to add you -- unless you turn Buzz off.

What I still don't understand about this service is that they're touting it as (among other things) an easy way to discuss things with a certain group of people -- for example, you can publish a status update that's only visible to a certain group of people and exchange messages in a format that looks just a Gmail "conversation." So ... why not just use Gmail? It's redundant.

Haha, that is exactly like you're chatting via twitter while you and your friend's MSN are both online... smile.gif

It just seems like more fun doing that way hahaha...

So... i'm not sure D: --

--------------------
Stovila Photography (New England, USA)
My Blog in Indonesia Language: MukaBantal (Datang dan berkomen ya :D)
My Twitter: Follow Me

INDONESIAN DAIForumer, Sign in here! - just a census.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 08:06 PM
eXTReMe Tracker

Skin designed by Ghost. Modified by Stovila