Reply to this topicStart new topic
Alexandra wallace. UCLA student
tulron41
post Mar 15 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #1

Fanatic (I can choose my own title now)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,061

Okay. clementine dream posted a link of this on our forums and i HAVE to make a thread on this. I don't wanna debunk the earthquake thread so here it is.

Here's wat clementine wrote:
QUOTE(clementine_dream @ Mar 15 2011, 03:12 PM) *

My friend was in Fukushima last year, it's just unreal. Though the crisis is far from over, I can't stop thinking about how much this will alter Japan's future in the world.

Oh and has anyone heard about the UCLA student who went on a racist rant?

Read it here. Scroll down for the video. Boy is she getting some hate.

And here's my comment. Dude what the hell. that is some absurd racism against asians. I'm asian and that was crazy offensive. The issue i have about this model/political science major from UCLA is how her "american manners" require her to like, say like, in like, every sentence. I understand that this person is angry, and apparently brought up to look down on others. But a little common sense please. the internet is more vast than ever before, if u wanna be rude or a racist, at least be anonymous (but u really just shouldnt be racist at all)

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Daish
post Mar 16 2011, 01:13 AM
Post #2

上野樹理ファン男

Member No.: 3,344

I dunno, i don't find it all that offensive if she just left the tsunami thing out of it she probably would have got off scott free.... some people are ignorant... can't help it. laugh.gif many asians are admittedly racist....

--------------------
"The only thing more important than quality, is speed"
+Quote Post
tulron41
post Mar 16 2011, 01:45 AM
Post #3

your probably right. i don't know. i lived in the suburbs of new york and there was a very small asian community there. so i got a lot of that ignorance. And i have a lot more american traditions then chinese ones. (i'm like full blown abc).

I might be too harsh with this girl but only because she makes it so easy behaving the way she does. Still in terms of public statements its really not acceptable to say that and have it passed through social media.

For me. her being stupid wouldnt really cause me to act upon it. like i usually use the silent treatment. if your rude then its not worth my time to argue with you. So in that aspect the death threats and such and spreading of her private information is probably a lot worse than her actions. Thats going way too far.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
clementine_dream
post Mar 27 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #4

BLOODY STATION!

Member No.: 1,531

You're right on. She made a mistake, and the internet turned into a lynch mob. When I first saw the video, I felt more amused than I was offended. She probably didn't even think she was being racist. But yeah, shouldn't have mentioned the tsunami. Definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket.

I like how she used the general term asian. I think she meant Chinese. That's how Chinese people talk right?... ohmy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Wanna play?
+Quote Post
oasis_heart3
post Mar 28 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,566

Yeah, I heard about her. I liked what this guy had to say about it:

In short, he insulted her...and said she was stupid for SAYING IT OUT LOUD. She might have spoken some truth on certain things (like their families coming over every weekend), but that should have been ranted to her friends, not the internet.

--------------------
~Oasis Heart3

["We are For the Future"] - http://www.globemoon.net/waftf
For translated lyrics (DAI, Van, MI), interactive discography and more!!
+Quote Post
Cardea
post Mar 29 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #6

Mav is my personal heroooooo!

Member No.: 2,967

People are ignorant, selfish, foolish things for the most part.

If you're not fit into that crowd, then by all means TEACH people.
This whole Alexandra Wallace outcry on racism looks a awful lot like some 20 something spoiled girl, who views herself as best &*^# ever, not understanding different cultures. So instead of doing what everyone else on the interwebs are doing, why not be productive and teach them? The worst thing that can happen is they'll ignore what you have to say. If that happens you can always grab your torches and pitchforks.

~Toodles

--------------------
IPB Image

☻ε ᥧ ┼φδε♥
+Quote Post
tulron41
post Mar 29 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #7

If changing alexandra's minds was as simple as having a 40 minute lecture about how racism is bad, or how having a big ego can be devastating to your life. Then yes teaching her would be the easiest thing to do this. This is changing who you are. and for her, she's a fashion model going to UCLA, majoring in political science even while making public statements that she knows aren't "politically correct" but thats okay cuz she has polite "american" manners.

It just irritates me about the contradictions, less of the racist remarks but just that in ignorance you decided you were better than a whole race of people. And as others have pointed out, yea, people do tihs all the time, but in private. maybe we should give them a break. And on the internet, most people are crass and rude but there is a certain amount of anonymity. What she did was just plain silly. if u wanna post your true feelings on the matter, don't represent your college by saying which school its happening. Don't video tape yourself where asian whose seen your face will know its you.

People get too used to this sharing of information through facebook and twitter that the world has become a little too open. I hear people getting fired all the time due to facebook. and i simply don't understand the fact that my boss would look to try to friend me on facebook. (that will never happen since i dont have one lol).

I've seen this whole ordeal as less of "she's a racist she should be punished for it". but more of a she's being punished for being an idiot. her insults don't infuriate me nor do they make me try to seek her out or anything of that sort. But the whole ordeal just irritates me by where and how she decided to make a video blog without even thinking twice of the consequences. and i think she shouldn't have to drop out for expressing her feelings on the matter, but the way she did it forced her own hand. and possibly destroyed her future career.

ps. that video is hilarious. i like how he's so astonished about everything she said he pretty much stammers through his whole video. ? huh? what? really? huh? seriously? lol...UCLA. u c lots a asians. lmao

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Stovila
post Apr 2 2011, 05:27 AM
Post #8

Van Tomiko's

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 845

I'll forgive her for her boobs ohmy.gif

--------------------
Stovila Photography (New England, USA)
My Blog in Indonesia Language: MukaBantal (Datang dan berkomen ya :D)
My Twitter: Follow Me

INDONESIAN DAIForumer, Sign in here! - just a census.
+Quote Post
Newtype
post Apr 3 2011, 02:39 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,874

I don't think we're too harsh on her. So many instances of racism and bigotry go by silently accepted by society. The internet mob did something symbolically good as it's a small step towards deterrence. Like speeding tickets. many people speed, and you can't catch all of them. And when you do, the ticket isn't unfair just because they were caught aside from others.

Interestingly enough, I just researched First Amendment limitations for student speech for a client brief shortly before Wallace posted her idiocy. A lot of kids online were saying that she had freedom of speech to voice her opinion. But they oversimplified the law. According to CA cases, educators can restrict and punish student speech when it passes certain legal tests - mainly, becoming closely associated with the school and evidence that it caused a substantial disruption to the institution.

So UCLA definitely had legal authority to expel her, and the CA supreme court would have okay-ed it. I suspect they didn't discipline her because they knew she would leave anyway. The girl has been revealed to be a fame whore. I doubt she cares about her degree much.

--------------------
IPB Image

Everything will be alright. Everyday will be lucky.

main network | final fantasy portal | fanlist collective
+Quote Post
DAI World Order
post Apr 3 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 211

there's a school "First Amendment?"

or are you talking about the U.S. constitution?

--------------------
"In DWO WE TRUST"

DWO brings you the latest scoop in the entertainment world.
+Quote Post
Newtype
post Apr 3 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,874

U.S. constitution

--------------------
IPB Image

Everything will be alright. Everyday will be lucky.

main network | final fantasy portal | fanlist collective
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 12:32 AM
eXTReMe Tracker

Skin designed by Ghost. Modified by Stovila