virilevocalist
post Jan 7 2009, 03:01 AM
Post #1

Mahna Mahna (doot-dooot doo-doo-doot)

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,013

Obama Wants Journalist Gupta for Surgeon General

By Howard Kurtz
President-elect Barack Obama has offered the job of surgeon general to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, the neurosurgeon and correspondent for CNN and CBS, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation.

Gupta has told administration officials that he wants the job, and the final vetting process is under way. He has asked for a few days to figure out the financial and logistical details of moving his family from Atlanta to Washington but is expected to accept the offer.

When reached for comment today, Gupta did not deny the account but declined to comment.

The offer followed a two-hour Chicago meeting in November with Obama, who said that Gupta could be the highest-profile surgeon general in history and would have an expanded role in providing health policy advice, the sources said. Gupta later spoke with Tom Daschle, Obama's White House health czar and nominee for Health and Human Services secretary, and other advisers to the president-elect.

The Michigan-born son of parents who were born in India, Gupta has always been drawn to health policy. He was a White House fellow in the late 1990s, writing speeches and crafting policy for Hillary Clinton. His appointment would give the administration a prominent official of South Asian descent and a skilled television spokesman.

Gupta, who hosts "House Call" on CNN, has discussed the job offer with his bosses at CBS and CNN to make sure he could be released from his contractual obligations, the sources said.

His role as journalist and physician have sometimes overlapped. During the 2003 Iraq invasion, Gupta was embedded with a Navy unit called Devil Docs and, while covering its mission, performed brain surgery five times, the first of which was on a 2-year-old Iraqi boy.

Gupta's only hesitation in taking the post is said to involve the financial impact on his pregnant wife and two children if he gives up his lucrative medical and journalistic careers. But he is expected to accept the position within days.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail...st_for_sur.html

Well, he's first and foremost a neurosurgeon before he's a journalist. I read the comments and a lot of people were faulting him for being tied up with CNN. Unless I see some post with SUCCESSFUL character assassination, then I'm totally excited to see the first South Asian in the candidacy for Surgeon General.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mavrick_45
post Jan 7 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Ghost of Admins Past

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 742

we have a Dr. Gupta working at my hospital
tongue.gif

--------------------
Questions?/Problems?
Please read the FAQ here.To report a bug, click here

New Songs
Old Songs
+Quote Post
virilevocalist
post Jan 8 2009, 06:18 AM
Post #3

Sure, I'm glad to see that he's doing so well, but THIS is just ridiculous.

--------------------
+Quote Post
DAI World Order
post Jan 16 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #4

Fanatic (I can choose my own title now)

Member No.: 211

this guy is also a part time Bollywood director. rolling.gif rolling.gif j/k

who are the other candidates for this job?

--------------------
"In DWO WE TRUST"

DWO brings you the latest scoop in the entertainment world.
+Quote Post
virilevocalist
post Jan 17 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #5

Yeah, it must suck to have the same name as a plagiarizing, actress molesting piece of shit.

There was some noname doctor, I think. But he was nominated just because he's the older brother of Cincinnati NAACP President Christopher Smitherman. Surgeon General is mostly a PR Job, right? Would it make sense to hire an unknown? Well I guess the administration didn't think so either, so I think they're going ahead with Gupta's senate confirmation hearings.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Stovila
post Jan 19 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #6

Van Tomiko's

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 845

Not Iryu?

--------------------
Stovila Photography (New England, USA)
My Blog in Indonesia Language: MukaBantal (Datang dan berkomen ya :D)
My Twitter: Follow Me

INDONESIAN DAIForumer, Sign in here! - just a census.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 12:35 PM
eXTReMe Tracker

Skin designed by Ghost. Modified by Stovila